Malfunctioning laundry equipment sparks house fire

By on Monday, November 14th, 2022 in Columbia Basin News More Top Stories

WALLA WALLA – A malfunctioning dryer in a first-floor laundry room started a fire that spread to the second floor and into the attic space of a home on the 1100 block of Hobson Street at 1:38 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters went to work extinguishing the fire after it was confirmed all occupants were safely out of the home. Firefighters had the fire controlled at 2:05 p.m., but remained on scene until 3:30 p.m. to investigate, clean up and ensure the fire had no flare-ups.

No injuries were reported. Property and content losses are estimated at $150,000.

The residence did have working smoke detectors.