LGSD Nurses Asking Families to be Mindful of Winter Illnesses
LA GRANDE – (Release from the La Grande School District) Dear La Grande School District Families,
It is the time of year for cold and flu symptoms. Of course, some of these are unavoidable but here are some tips to remember to help prevent illness and keep everyone feeling healthy:
- Get plenty of sleep. School age children should get 9-12 hours of sleep each night.
- WASH HANDS
- Washing your hands is the best defense against illness. Wash hands frequently using soap and warm water. If soap and water are unavailable use hand sanitizer.
- EAT HEALTHY
- Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- COVER YOUR COUGH
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow. Keep hands away from eyes, nose and mouth. Wash hands after blowing your nose. Do not share food or drinks.
- DRESS APPROPRIATELY
- Exercise and fresh air during recess/ lunch is very important. Please dress your child appropriately for cold weather.
- STAY HOME
- Stay home when sick.
Unfortunately, even with all the precautions taken, illness can still make us sick. Please review the attached document for guidelines to follow when deciding if your child should come to school or stay home.
Please call your child’s school with any concerns or questions you may have. It is very important for the school to be able to reach you in the event of an emergency or if your child becomes ill at school. Please remember to update contact information if you have a change in address or phone number.
Have a safe and healthy winter!
LGSD School Nurses