Kitchen fire causes Galbraith Gardens evacuation

By on Thursday, April 1st, 2021 in Columbia Basin News Featured Stories More Top Stories

WALLA WALLA – The Walla Walla Fire Department responded to a call for a structure fire at Galbraith Gardens South Apartments on Catherine Street. When first responders arrived, people were being evacuated and witnesses reported there was smoke on the second floor of the building.

Access was made to an apartment on the second floor where the firefighters found a fire burning on top of the stove had already been extinguished by the automatic sprinkler system. The cause was determined to have been the resident accidentally turning on the stove, which had towels resting on its top. The resident left for a short time and when she returned the fire was burning.

While the apartment suffered damage, firefighters said the sprinkler system prevented extensive damage throughout the entire complex. There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.

College Place Fire Department and Walla Walla County District 4 provided mutual aid. Property and content damages are estimated at $51,000. The owner of Galbraith Gardens South is the Walla Walla Housing Authority.