Grant Co. Emergency Management cautions use of space heaters

By on Tuesday, February 6th, 2024 in Eastern/Southeast Oregon News More Top Stories

JOHN DAY – Grant County Emergency Management Coordinator Eric Bush was in Elkhorn Media Group Studios Tuesday to express the importance of being prepared during the winter months. He said if your house is heated using electricity, make sure you have a safe and solid backup plan should the power go out for an extended period:

“One of the things I think is really important is to express the dangers of carbon monoxide-producing heaters that are designed for outdoor use. A lot of times in a crisis, without having any forethought, folks might think it’s a good idea to bring something like that in to warm the house up, and that can be deadly.”

Bush said it is not uncommon, and almost every year there are fatalities from carbon monoxide poisoning in Oregon.  

Listen to the full podcast here: