Firefighters respond to electrical fire in Kennewick home

By on Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 in Columbia Basin News More Top Stories

KENNEWICK – Firefighters were dispatched at 9:25 p.m. Wednesday to a residential fire on the 1400 block of South Morain Street in Kennewick. The cause of the fire was determined electrical. The homeowner informed firefighters that the fire started in a light switch that had recently been installed in the laundry room.

The fire originated inside the laundry room before spreading to the exterior wall. The homeowner prevented the fire from spreading further by applying water with a garden hose before the firefighters arrived.

Three adults were in the home at the time of the fire. Officers from the Kennewick Police Department were able to ensure all three occupants were evacuated prior to firefighters arriving on the scene.

“The fire caused significant thermal damage to the wiring within the wall that must be repaired by a certified electrician before power can be restored to the home,” KFD Chief Chad Michael said. “The home will be uninhabitable until necessary repairs can be made to restore power.”

Fire crews from the Kennewick Fire Department, Benton County Fire District No. 1, plus Richland Fire and Emergency Services responded.

Photo via Kennewick Fire Department