Fire caused by improper cigarette disposal

By on Monday, August 16th, 2021 in Columbia Basin News

WALLA WALLA – The Walla Walla Fire Department said improper disposal of cigarettes caused extensive damage to a home Friday night.

Firefighters were dispatched to the 200 block of West Maple Street just before 10 p.m. When crews arrived, they found residents on the front porch applying water to a burning sofa. Firefighters immediately took control of the scene and began an aggressive interior attack on the fire, which had extended into the house and attic area. The fire was under control in about 15 minutes.

No injuries were reported. The fire caused extensive damage to the home and its contents. Damage is estimated at $70,000.